Pennsylvania One Book, Every Young Child Early Literacy Program
Pennsylvania's One Book, Every Young Child 2017 selection is Daniel Finds a Poem. Written and illustrated by Micha Archer, the book was published in 2016 by Nancy Paulsen Books, an imprint of Penguin House LLC, and is for children ages 3 to 6.
Daniel wants to participate in the Poetry in the Park event, but first asks his animal friends for help. After a week of discovery, he is able to share a magical poem that incorporates the essence of the entire book. The collage illustrations help to celebrate a sense of wonder and poetry everywhere.
Now in its 12th year, One Book, Every Young Child is a valuable program that highlights the importance of early literacy development in preschoolers and the significance of reading early and often to children, as well as engaging them in conversation and other activities around books.
The program has remained successful in part due to the partnership of collaborating agencies that all support early childhood literacy efforts. They worked together to develop this multifaceted program which is accessible to all areas and populations of the state.
Throughout the year, there will be local events including author visits; library and museum programming for families; and activities for parents, early child care providers and educators. There also will be traveling trunks developed by early childhood educators to help expand upon the concepts in Daniel Finds a Poem. Each trunk is filled with fun book-related activities, games and manipulatives for young children that align with Pennsylvania's Learning Standards for Early Childhood.
One Book, Every Young Child is made possible through a collaboration of the Pennsylvania Department of Education, Pennsylvania Department of Human Services, Pennsylvania Department of Conservation and Natural Resources, The Carnegie Science Center, Pennsylvania Library Association, Pennsylvania Center for the Book, Pennsylvania’s Promise for Children, Pennsylvania Association for the Education of Young Children and The Pennsylvania Child Care Association. This project is made possible by a grant from the Institute of Museum and Library Services as administered by the Pennsylvania Department of Education through the Office of Commonwealth Libraries.
Previous selections for the Pennsylvania One Book, Every Young Child program are:
- 2016 - Kite Day by Will Hillenbrand
- 2015 - Number One Sam by Greg Pizolli
- 2014 - Stripes of All Types by Susan Stockdale
- 2013 - The Bus for Us by Suzanne Bloom
- 2012 - Stop Snoring Bernard by Zachariah OHora
- 2011 - Whose Shoes? A Shoe for Every Job by Stephen R. Swinburne
- 2010 - What a Treasure! by Jane and Will Hillenbrand
- 2009 - If You Were a Penguin by Wendell and Florence Minor
- 2008 - Up, Down, and Around by author Katherine Ayres and illustrator Nadine Bernard Westcott
- 2007 - A Splendid Friend, Indeed by author and illustrator Suzanne Bloom
- 2006 - Inside Mouse, Outside Mouse by author and illustrator Lindsay Barrett George